Posted: Posted Date – 11:00 PM, Thu – 21 Apr 22
By Ravipal Reddy Band
Hyderabad: This article follows the last article on the preparation for the police sub-inspector recruitment competition. Here are some practical questions and answers as well as solutions on the subject Ratio and proportion.
1. If Rs. 782 is divided into three parts, proportional to : : , then the first part is:
R.Rs.182 B.Rs.190 C.Rs.196 DR 204
Report given = : :
Multiply the ratio by 12 (lcm of denominators)
So 1st part == 6×34 = Rs 204
2. Rs.700 is divided between A, B and C so that A gets half from B and B gets half from C. Then C’s share is:
A.Rs.200 B.Rs.300 C.Rs.400 D.Rs.600
Let the share of C = Rs. X. Then
Share of B = Rs. x/2
And, the share of A = Rs. x/4
Multiply the ratio by 4, we get A:B:C=1:2:4
Total units = 1 2 4 = 7 units = Rs.700
1 unit = 100
Therefore, the share of C = Rs.(100×4) = Rs.400
3. If 2A = 3B = 4C. So A:B:C=?
A.2:3:4 B.4:3:2 C.6:4:3 D.3:4:6
Let 2A = 3B = 4C = K
4. A bag contains 20p, 25p and 50p coins in the ratio of 1:2:3. The total amount in the bag is Rs 220. Find the number of coins of each type?
A.40, 80, 120 B.50, 100, 150 C.100, 200, 300
D.200, 400, 800
Let ratio ‘x’
Hence the number of pieces be x, 2x, 3x
(.20)(x) (.25) (2x) (.50) (3x) = 220
Then 100 200 300
5. In a 100 liter mixture, the milk to water ratio is 3:1. If this ratio is to be 1:1, the amount of water to add is
A. 25 liters B. 50 liters C. 75 liters D. 125 liters
Milk in 100 liters of mixture = 100 x
= 75 liters
Water in the mixture = (100-75)
Let xl of water be added to it.
X= 50 liters
6. Two numbers are there in the ratio 2:3. After subtracting 6 from the two numbers, its ratio will become 5:8. So find the initial numbers?
A.20, 30 B.24, 36 C.36, 54 D.36, 48
Since 6 subtracts from the two numbers
So the initial numbers are 36, 54
7. The places in mathematics, physics and biology in a school are in the report
5:7:8. It is proposed to increase these seats by 40%, 50% and 75% respectively. What will be the seat increase ratio?
A.2:3:4 B.6:7:8 C.6:8:9 D.6:7:9
140% of 5x: 150% of 7x: 175% of 8x
14x: 21x: 28x
8. The ratio of the number of boys and girls in a middle school is 7:8. If the percentage increase in the number of boys and girls is 20% and 10% respectively, what will be the new ratio?
A) 8:9 B) 17:18
C) 21:22 D) Cannot be determined
Let the number of boys and girls in the college be 7x: 8x
120% of 7x: 110% of 8x
Then the ratio required is 21:22
9. Ravi and Sumit’s salaries are in the ratio of 2:3. If each’s salary is increased by Rs. 4000, the new ratio becomes 40:57. What is Sumit’s current salary?
AR 17,000 BR 20,000 CR 25,500
Let the salaries of Ravi and Sumit be 2x and 3x respectively
Clearly since their salaries are increased by Rs 4000
57(2x 4000) = 40(3x 4000)
10. The sum of three numbers is 98. If the ratio of the first to the second is 2:3 and the ratio of the second to the third is 5:8, then the second number is:
A.20 B.30 C.48 D.58
Sai Institute of General Mental Ability
You can now get handpicked stories from Telangana today on Telegram every day. Click the link to subscribe.