A hospital’s emergency and accident department was forced to shut down after a sample of “old bacteria” was found in a sealed slide.
The item is believed to have been taken to Russells Hall Hospital, but it is also believed that there was no criminal intent behind the incident.
The Accident and Emergency Department (A&E) at Dudley Hospital was forced to close for 50 minutes last night, December 23, following the incident.
Read more:Russells Hall A&E Department Forced To Close Due To ‘Incident’ At Dudley Hospital
The British Health Security Agency, which is the body that replaced Public Health England, advised the hospital to eliminate bacteria in its incinerator, saying the substance “did not pose an immediate risk”.
The UKHSA, however, could not say what the bacteria were.
It is understood the incident is not investigated as a felony, but West Midlands Police have yet to comment.
A UKHSA spokesperson said: “UKHSA was made aware of an article which contained a sample of unknown ancient bacteria in a sealed slide.
“Based on the information we were given, we did not believe it was an immediate risk to the public or hospital staff and advised the hospital to dispose of it in their incinerator. “
A spokeswoman for the Dudley NHS Trust, which operates Russells Hall Hospital, said: “The A&E department at Russells Hall Hospital in Dudley was temporarily closed to the public for about 50 minutes earlier in the evening.
“Ambulances were diverted to other local hospitals during the closure, before the facility reopened around 8:15 pm.
“People should continue to seek help as usual, including calling NHS111 and visiting NHS111 online when they need urgent medical attention when it is not an emergency. “
Stay up to date with the latest in the area with our Black Country email updates