• Wed. May 25th, 2022

Rapist Leader’s DNA Rap Dropped Because Sample Request Wasn’t Fast Enough

A notorious gang leader and convicted rapist faced criminal charges for failing to provide gardai with a sample of his DNA for the DNA database system dismissed by a judge as the request was not met accelerated quite quickly.

Christy Griffin, 52, who was jailed for life for the repeated rape of a girl over an eight-year period in 2007 but was reduced to 15 on appeal, had disputed the allegation in the District Court of Swords yesterday.

The offense falls under section 31 of the Criminal Justice (Forensic Evidence and DNA Database System) Act 2014. If found guilty by the district court, a person faces up to 12 months in prison.

Griffin, whose address cannot be released due to reporting restrictions, was asked by a prison officer to provide a DNA sample on April 10, 2018 while serving a sentence in Midlands Prison.

However, the jail officer testified in Swords District Court that Griffin refused.

The correctional officer informed operations headquarters and no further instructions were received to request his DNA again.

In April 2018, Griffin was released from prison and monitored by a garda as he is on the sex offender register.

Christy Griffin leaves Swords Court

In October 2018, Garda Detective Colin McKiernan was then assigned to watch him and realized that Griffin had refused to provide the DNA sample in prison.

“The provision of a DNA sample is subject to part of the Sex Offenders Act,” Detective Gda McKiernan said.

The court heard there was a delay in publishing the notice because Griffin had three addresses and it was difficult to locate him.

Detective Gda McKiernan said he arranged to meet Griffin in January 2019 to establish the address he was residing at and to inform him that he had not provided a DNA sample.

Once Detective Gda McKiernan learned of the address he was staying at, he was able to give notice to go to a guardhouse to provide his DNA.

It was March 13, 2020, when Griffin was then served with notice that he was required to attend a local guard station in an effort to provide a DNA sample. Griffin didn’t show up.

As the pandemic had begun, a new opportunity was offered to Griffin to attend a second date on August 21, 2020. However, he did not show up on that date.

The defense attorney claimed Griffin’s original DNA request was made more than 12 months after his release from prison and “not as soon as possible or while he was in custody.”

“The prison service should have taken a sample as soon as possible and before the expiration of his sentence,” the defense attorney said.

In his decision to dismiss the case, Judge Dermot Dempsey said: “In these types of situations, delays of a practical nature should be dealt with fairly quickly and adequately for someone on the sex offender list and the DNA collected.

“I am quite satisfied that he was asked for a sample in custody and that an attempt was made but the delay is too long,” the judge said.

Want the latest breaking news and daily headlines delivered straight to you? Don’t miss a thing by signing up for our email updates here.

Every day we’ll send you a roundup of the latest news, sport and entertainment in one convenient place.

For a more personalized browsing experience, download our free app for Android here or Apple here.